Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Mom and Granny

So I just want to document, as good as my life is here, and as content as I feel. Last week was a bummer. My Mom had a heart attack and her second coronary by pass surgery (a redo of the first). That was stressful enough. Of course I wanted to be there. By the time I found out it was happening, it was happening. Then you have to figure anouther 36hours to get there. I missed out. Before my mom was released from the hospital my grandma (my mom's mom) passed away
I thought that I would go. Even the airfare was acceptable at 24hrs. notice. I was so sad-especially for my mom.
I loved my Grandma. She opened her home to everyone. It was truly a gathering place. I knew the last time I saw her it would be the last. Since then I've been wearing her scent and sipping her drink, diet cherry coke, in her honor. It hasn't been hard. I love the way she smelled and I love diet coke in all its forms.
Also in her honor I will buy a new dress and a pair of shoes to match. That's what she would have done.
I didn't end up going, and that's ok. Granny is ok with it.
My mom is doing well. I'm so grateful that she was able to make it out here and spend time with us before all of this happened. I miss her and talk to her as often as I can.
This is the hardest part about being here. With technology you feel so close. It is so easy to communicate and even see each other. It's even easy to trick yourself into thinking that you aren't that far away. But when it comes down to it. . . in the words of Elsa, "We are from the other side of the lake." That is one big lake.

11 comments:

S. Fillmore said...

My heart is saddened by your news. I have no idea what you are feeling, but my prayers are with you.

Bradley Moss said...

Suzy,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom and grandmother. This is when we are so grateful for our knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and the eternities. I hope that you find peace and comfort in your heart with your little family even though you are far from others.

I love reading about your adorable family...I have been doing so for a while and trying to figure out how to reach you and can only come up with this comment post.

I am thinking of you and your heartache.
Love, Shawnda

GregandAmyFish said...

Suzy,
I am so sorry. We love you and Greg loves your new dress and pair of shoes. Show us what you have gotten in honor of Granny.

Kim Anderson said...

Suzy,

Please know I feel for you at this challenging time. I feel so many similar thoughts. On October 20, the anniversary of my mom's passing, Tori and I made a pot of red cabbage. The smell, the memories, and the longing for her were all too much. We simply cried and cried.

I wish you a sense of peace and many happy memories that will, in time, outweigh the longing.

You and your family are in our prayers.

Love, Kim

Alison said...

Suzy-
I am so sorry. I will definately pray for your mom and for you. Love you Suzy! You are such an amazing person.
I so wish I could just pick up the phone and call you! Know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

LeeAnn said...

Dear Suzy~ I am so sorry for your heartache. I remember when my grandpa died and we were living in Chicago. We could not afford to come home for it but I felt peace. I pray for the speedy and complete recovery of your mom and a great celebration (new shoes and dress included) for your granny. The heart will always keep special memories of her.
Love LeeAnn

LeeAnn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LeeAnn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimberly said...

Oh Suzy, I am sad to hear about your granny. I remember going to her home and always seeing little ladies there - your mom, your granny, and your granny's mom. What cute ladies! I hope your mom is on her way to a quick recovery. Your bright outlook during such times is amazing! You and your family are in my prayers, always!

Sticking to the floor said...

Suzy,
I am so sorry about your Granny. Such heartbreaking news. I hope your mom is doing better. It's so hard to be so far away. I am glad you posted it so we could all send you virtual hugs. I miss you, I think of you when shopping...you are an amazing shopper.
Love you!
H

Kristie said...

Suzy,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. I imagine it must have been hard to not be there. Reading your blog...your sweet memories of her, truly warmed my heart!

I love you girl!